Have you ever heard a pun and couldn’t stop laughing? It is incredible how this play on words causes such laughter. It is hard to determine what the best puns are because they are all so clever. They stay with you long after a regular joke and can be easier to repeat.
Laughter is indeed the best medicine and telling a joke can undoubtedly help turn any bad day around. A pun can stick with you. They are relatively short, and that makes them easy to remember. They are a great icebreaker for any occasion. When you hear the words, “no pun intended,” you won’t have to ask what that means after reading about the best puns. You can then create your own or find a few you love and share them.
What Is a Pun?
While some people think of puns as jokes, it is a bit more complicated than this. There is a definite art in putting jokes together and entertaining people, but creating a pun is an art form all to itself. You must have some clever skills to put together and deliver a good pun. Here is the definition of each.
A joke is told to entertain and generate laughter. It can be written or spoken but done with the intention to be funny. Repeating a joke is an art all to itself and takes a great deal of create. Those who are comedians are genuinely gifted and love to make people laugh, for example: “What’s the greatest thing about Switzerland? I don’t know, but the flag is a huge plus”. This joke is funny but with no real twist or complexity. It states the obvious, which is no doubt, amusing.
A pun can be funny, but it is not the intention to be so. Those who create these have a great love for the English language. They love to put words together and twist their meanings around to fit in a pun. It is mostly a play on words as it uses the different meanings of words or a similar-sounding word within the context, for example: “What do you call a line of rabbits marching backward? A receding hairline”. The rabbits, in this case, are also called hares. So, using the other spelling of hair explains the joke in a funnier way.
What Makes a Pun Funny?
A pun is funny due to the way that it is told to the audience. It can be thought of as amusing depending on the topic and relatability to the audience. The way a pun is processed within our brain is key to what determines our reaction. It takes both sides of the brain to work together to handle a pun. The left side helps with the language while the right puts out the punch line or double meaning. How we interpret it when these two come together will either create laughter, eye roll, or both.
Puns Are a Sign of Intelligence
Bet you wouldn’t have thought that puns were an intelligent art form, but it is true. Puns are a sign of intelligence. Those who can put these together are excellent at finding the perfect words for a pun. They have mastered the use of the English language and can narrow a pun’s words down to a few choice ones that say it more precisely.
Computers Can Make Puns
Nowadays, it isn’t surprising that technology has gotten in on the pun action. Google Home and Amazon’s Alexa, when asked, can tell you some of their best puns. But don’t stop pun shopping there because you will also find a wide range of puns online. Just search for best puns on your search engine, and you will see there is no shortage of puns out there. They are fun to create as well as read so don’t be afraid of making some up on your own.
Why Do People Hate Puns?
People don’t like puns because they aren’t the usual way that one uses the English language. These are the ones that have a tendency to be in control and keep everything aligned with the rules. Puns break the rules not just that of language, but social veneer gets thrown by the wayside as well. Those who don’t like irreverence won’t love puns because they are not ones to like humor that isn’t always politically correct. They will feel that puns are a waste of time and cause you to be sidetracked. That is what makes it funny, but that is why they won’t like it.Not everyone will like your puns but don’t let that stop you from sharing. Eventually, you will hit upon one that they will laugh at, and that will make it worthwhile. Puns can be thought-provoking and intelligent, and that can be a great stress relief for all of us in our busy lives.
Some of the Best Puns
Not everyone can tell the best puns but once you have read one you can’t help but want to share it with someone. Puns can be fun whether they are funny or ridiculous. When someone says one you actually stop and listen to make sure you understand. A pun can be thought-provoking because it challenges you to figure it out. There isn’t a shortage of ones online but here is a good list that will surely make you laugh. You might even be inspired after reading these to create your own best pun list.
- I couldn’t remember how to throw a boomerang, but it came back to me.
- Did you hear about the guy who lost the left side of his body? He’s alright now.
- The shovel was a ground-breaking invention, but everyone was blown away by the leaf blower.
- Towels can’t tell jokes. They have a dry sense of humor.
- What do you call a girl with one leg that’s shorter than the other? Ilene.
- Do you know sign language? You should learn it; it’s pretty handy.
- What does a clock do when it’s hungry? It goes back for seconds.
- To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
- Did you hear about the cheese factory that exploded in France? There was nothing but de-brie.
- A cross-eyed teacher couldn’t control his pupils.
- I read a book on anti-gravity. I couldn’t put it down.
- My first job was working in an orange juice factory, but I got canned because I couldn’t concentrate.
- How does Moses make coffee? Hebrews it.
- Sausage puns are the wurst.
- What do you call a bear with no teeth? A gummy bear.
- How did Darth Vader know what Luke was getting him for his birthday? He could sense his presence.
- What do you call a fake noodle? An impasta.
- The energizer bunny went to jail. He was charged with battery.
- Why did the man dig a hole in his neighbor’s backyard and fill it with water? Because he meant well.
- A cabbage and celery walk into a bar, and the cabbage gets served first because he was a head.
- How do trees access the internet? They log on.
- A book just fell on my head. I’ve got my shelf to blame.
- Apple is designing a new automatic car. But they’re having trouble installing Windows!
- eBay is so useless. I tried to look up matches, and all they had was 13,749 matches.
- I used to be a banker but then I lost interest.
Ridiculously Funny Puns
Now that you have read some the best puns let’s look at the ridiculous ones. These are the real eye-rolling ones. When you think of puns that make you groan these might be the ones. But they still are funny and a great play on words for sure.
- The past, the present, and the future walk into a bar. It was tense!
- How did the picture end up in jail? It was framed.
- My ex-wife still misses me. But her aim is starting to improve.
- What’s the difference between a hippo and a zippo? One is heavy, and the other is a little lighter.
- Sure, I drank brake fluid. But I can stop anytime!
- Coffee has a hard time in our house. It gets mugged every single morning.
- Why didn’t the cat go to the vet? He was feline fine!
- Somebody stole all my lamps. And I couldn’t be more delighted!
- My wife refuses to go to a nude beach with me. I think she is being clothes-minded.
- Never date someone cross-eyed. You’ll always catch them seeing other people on the side.
You could research all day and find the best puns that you like. It is addicting and entertaining to share with others. They might give you the eye roll, but they will smile at the cleverness of each pun you tell. Laughter is the best medicine in this hectic world, and a pun might be just what someone needs to snap them out of their bad day. A little sarcasm in a great pun can make someone smile and that is worth it.